Saturday 8 May 2010

Oatmeal Recipes

This is really just for myself. My current favourite starting website has collected a number of recipes with oatmeal that I decided I would try out soon. But to make life a little easier for myself I thought I would make more own, more compact collection.



First out is an instruction video on how to make "Super Oatmeal" check out this video check out the video I found:





"
INGREDIENTS: 
1.              4 cups old fashioned oats
2.              1cup oat bran
3.              ½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
4.              1/2cup low fat soy flour 
5.              1/2cup almond meal
6.              1/2cup ground flaxseed
7.              1/4cup sesame seeds
DIRECTIONS:
1.              In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil. (I sometimes use ½ cup skim milk)
2.              Stir in 1/2  cup cereal mix and turn heat to low.
3.              Simmer for 1 minute, cover, and remove from heat.
4.              Allow to stand for 3 minutes.
5.              Serve immediately with fresh berries."
____________________________________________________

Healthy Chocolate Blueberry Oatmeal (From listener Anna)
I start by cooking my old fashioned oats in boiling water in a pan. I add in a healthy portion of frozen blueberries. As they thaw, I also add in wheat bran (lots of fiber, very cheap and has few calories), ground flaxseed, and some soy protein powder. Now for the special ingredient! Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder. A tablespoon of this only has 5 calories and tons of great flavor – a bonus is all of the flavanol antioxidants. After I’ve mixed everything in, I serve in a bowl with a scoop of low-fat yogurt on top.


____________________________________________________

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (by Paxye)

Makes 3 servings
Ingredients:
1 cup oats
1 cup skim milk powder
1 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp chocolate chips
1 cup apple sauce
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350, Mix dry ingredients together (can be made in advance), Add
applesauce and mix. Adjust if too dry or too wet. Make 3 mounds (They will be big and
you can only fit 2 on a normal cookie sheet) and bake for 15-20 min until done.
Nutrition:
350 cal per cookie,
3.2 g fat,
4.2 g of Fiber,
19.2 protein 

  ____________________________________________________


How to Cook Oatmeal in Advance link

"On an earlier show of Fat2Fit Radio, Jeff discussed his method of preparing oatmeal ahead of time. He cooks his oatmeal in a large batch and then divides the servings into containers. He then adds in scrambled eggs full of vegetables on top of the oatmeal and then keeps it in the fridge. His breakfasts will last for two weeks without spoiling. In the morning, they are microwaved together and then mixed together. With a little ketchup on top, it is a very filling breakfast. It will not win any awards for presentation, but it actually tastes better than it sounds."  

#1 – Fried Slices of Oatmeal! – from Ellen
“I listened with interest about your experience of cooking oatmeal for later & here’s how I do it. I cook a large batch of steel-cut oatmeal & put the leftovers in a cake pan. Then, I cover & refrigerate it, so it solidifies into a loaf. When I’m ready for breakfast again, I slice off a piece & sauté it in a little bit of butter or olive oil. You can also pour some maple syrup or honey on it. It tastes so much better this way than trying to re-create the porridge texture for the leftovers.

#2 – Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal! – from Gail
“Here’s a recipe for instant oatmeal packets, so you can control the sugar and salt.
Makes 8 packets
3 cups quick oats, salt, sugar (or sweetener)
8 zip sandwich bags
Process 1 cup of oats in a blender, 1/2 cup at a time, until it is as fine as flour.
In each sandwich bag measure 1/4 cup oats, 2 tablespoons oat flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 T sugar or equivalent sweetener
To prepare:
Mix a packet with 3/4 cup boiling water, stir, and let set 2 minutes.
Variations:
Apple Cinnamon: add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons chopped dried apples to each packet.
Cinnamon Spice: ad 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a scant 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg to each packet
Raisin Brown Sugar: replace white sugar or sweetener with brown sugar or sweetener and add 1 tablespoon raisins to each packet.
Wheat germ: add 2 tablespoons wheat germ to each packe
t”






Other variations posted on the same page:
"I love steel cut whole oats for breakfast. My favorite recipe is to take parchment paper and place it inside my crock pot and add the oats and water according to directions. To spice it up I use whole cloves x5, cinnamon, nutmeg and diced pears or apples. Cook overnight on low. We never need sugar added to our oats."

"All I do is
Grab snap lock bags
1 Cup of oat meal
6 Walnuts
a sprinkle of Cinnamon
Add it to the bag
Then when I want it I add to the bowl add hot water stir and the add low fat milk and it is done"

"Love the oatmeal recipes. I use 1/3 cup of oats and add dried cranberries and little water and nuke it for 2 minutes. GREAT!"

"My favorite oatmeal is also the steel cut. As it takes up a bit of time to cook it, I, too, like to prepare a big batch at one time. I then portion it out into individual containers and store in the fridge. In the morning I take out one container, reheat with a splash of vanilla soymilk, then add a handful of frozen blueberries and a drizzle of honey. All I can say is “YUM!!!”"
  ____________________________________________________

High Protein Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes by Tom Venuto

  ____________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter